GENERAL GUIDELINES FALL SPORTS 2020
The return to participation in activities is vital for the healthy physical, mental and spiritual well-being of
young people. Building Christ-like relationships with their coaches and their teammates is central to a child’s
development. CYO has been working with safety and sports experts to identify essential protective and
preventive measures to reduce the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus. These CYO fall sports operational
guidelines are subject to change according to further pandemic related developments. Sport specific
operational changes have also been made. Vulnerable, high risk, and immunocompromised individuals as
identified by the CDC should remain at home for their own safety and for the safety of others.
ALL CYO SPORTS AND PROGRAMS:
- Maintain 6’ physical distance between others at all times and wash hands frequently.
- Avoid contact as much as possible; no handshakes, high-fives etc.
- Athletes and coaches who have a fever or are not feeling well should remain at home.
- Each athlete brings their own personal items, i.e. water bottles, equipment etc. These cannot be shared.
- No congregating in common areas: parking lots, hallways, lobby, locker rooms etc.
- No tailgating and no tents are permitted at practices and games.
- Entrances and Exits will be marked off and used to minimize contact and allow physical distancing
- Players are instructed to wash their practice and game day attire as soon as they return to home.
- Concession stands will not be available.
- Athletes and parents are responsible to disinfect personal equipment after each competition/practice.
- Coaches will take and record attendance at every practice and game for contact tracing if needed.
- There is no limit of spectator’s for outdoor spaces as long as there is 6’ between individuals/families.
- Bring your own portable chairs.
- Bleachers will not be available for use due to the need for ongoing disinfecting and sanitization.
- Parents, siblings or guests are not permitted inside the gym during indoor practices.
- During competitions, only 2 fans/athlete (parents/grandparents) are permitted inside the gym. Fans
must wear protective masks at all times, including when entering and exiting the facility.
- Fans must follow safe physical distancing and remain in designated areas.
- During competition, no benches will be in the bench area. Individuals may NOT bring portable chairs.
- Physical distancing when using facility elevators is in effect with maximum two persons/elevator.
- Physical distancing when using restrooms is in effect with maximum two persons in the restroom.
- Drinking faucets are not available and will be turned off. Concessions will not be sold.
- Doors and windows will be propped open when possible to maximum ventilation.
- The facility will be disinfected at all high touch point surfaces; door handles, counters, railings, waste receptacles, restroom fixtures, balls, supplies, equipment, etc.
- Physical contact at practices and during competition is to be prevented and avoided whenever possible.
- Coaches and athletes will wear masks when entering and exiting but not during practice and contests.
- Teams must exit the facility before new teams and athletes enter for the next game.
2020 CYO FALL SPORTS CHANGES TO GAME DAY PROTOCOLS
- Pre-game and post-game prayer recited near the bench area by the coach and game day captain.
- Official’s pre-game sportsmanship talk will be given in front of the bench area 6’ apart.
- After every game, the handshake will be replaced by a folding of the hands in a prayful gesture and a
slight bow of the head at center court (field) with players spaced 6’ apart.
- CYO inspires young people to know God, to love God, and to serve God through athletics.